Learn How To Apply For Section 8 Program With Our Guide

As an independent and private company, we are proud to help our users learn about the benefit application process.

  • Get Free Information with Our Guide
  • Take our optional survey to receive, based on your answers, related offers from our partners!
  • Keep Updated with Curated Content

We Provide a Free Guide

Our FREE guide provides helpful information about how to apply for benefits. Learn more about us here.

Get the Guide

Learn About Section 8 Requirements in Idaho

How do you know if you meet the Section 8 requirements in Idaho? To begin, you must review the eligibility criteria. The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program is funded by the department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and administered by local Public Housing Agencies (PHAs). While every state must follow basic guidelines, some rules may vary depending on your area.

As a result, it is important to read through the Section 8 qualifications for your specific county. There are seven PHAs in Idaho, all of which have different income level requirements. Fortunately, the basic rules for eligibility remain the same from county to county.

What are the Section 8 requirements in Idaho?

You may have Section 8 eligibility in Idaho if you meet the requirements concerning state residency, citizenship and income. To meet the state residency requirement, you must live in Idaho.

To meet the citizenship requirement, you must be either a U.S. citizen or a non-citizen who is legally present. You may be asked to provide a Social Security Number (SSN) for you and each of your family members to prove your status. If you do not have an SSN, you must show documentation from the Social Security Administration (SSA).

Next, your Section 8 housing eligibility will depend on whether your income falls below a certain limit. These limits are updated annually by every PHA in the state.

Remember that you must pass a background check as well. If criminal activity comes up on your record, you may automatically lose your eligibility for the HCV program.

To get more information on these requirements, download our detailed guide.

What are the Idaho Section 8 income limits?

Of all the Section 8 housing requirements in ID, the income limits may be the most important. An income limit is the maximum level of income your family can have and still qualify for the program.

According to the Section 8 income guidelines in this state, an applicant may qualify for vouchers if his or her income does not exceed 80 percent of the median income in the area. However, 75 percent of all vouchers distributed by PHAs must go to applicants with incomes below 30 percent of the median. Thus, the lower an applicant’s income, the higher his or her chances of receiving vouchers.

Different PHAs will have different income limits. For instance, the housing authority of Ada county may approve a family of three if its income falls below $53,050, which is 80 percent of the median in the area. That same family will have a greater chance of receiving benefits if its income is below $21,330, which is 30 percent of the median.

To make sure you meet the Section 8 requirements and fall below the income limit for your family size, you must combine the incomes of all your working family members. If you have unearned income, you must account for that as well. This includes assets such as:

  • Cash on hand.
  • Savings accounts.
  • Stocks and bonds.

If you own property beyond your current home, that may be counted as well. Vehicles are not usually counted.

Furthermore, you must indicate on your application whether you receive monetary benefits from other federal assistance programs. This includes programs such as:

  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).
  • Women, Infants and Children (WIC).
  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).

Which documents do I need to meet Section 8 requirements in Idaho?

In order to prove that you meet the Section 8 qualifications in Idaho, you must bring certain documents to your appointment at the PHA. A caseworker will review these documents to make sure the information you provide is accurate. Such documents include, but are not limited to:

  • Proof of residency in the state, such as a utility bill, lease agreement, mortgage agreement or another approved document.
  • Proof of citizenship, such as a U.S. driver’s license, birth certificate or state ID.
  • Proof of legal non-citizenship if you are a non-citizen, such as a visa, green card, admitted refugee form or another approved document.
  • Proof of employment, such as a paycheck or employment verification letter.

Your Section 8 eligibility may be called into question if you cannot produce the documents your PHA requests. Keep in mind that you may be asked to bring in additional forms. This includes medical records if you have a disability and enrollment forms if you are enrolled in a school or training program.

Which Idaho Section 8 housing requirements do I have to meet?

If your PHA determines that you have Section 8 housing eligibility in ID, it may offer you a spot on the waitlist. Once you reach the top of the waitlist, your PHA will notify you of your housing options. At this point, you may begin searching for a new home. You can also stay in your current home as long as it meets all the program requirements.

Whether you stay in your current housing unit or decide to move to a new one, the home you choose must pass a health and safety inspection. In addition, the landlord must be participating in the HCV program. The lease provided by him or her must be reviewed by your PHA.

If your PHA approves the unit and the lease, you must agree to sign the lease and abide by the terms and conditions. For instance, you must live in the unit for a minimum of one year. You must also pay a portion of the rent that your housing choice vouchers do not cover.

What happens if I don’t meet the Section 8 qualifications?

Your PHA may find that you do not meet all the Section 8 housing requirements and may send you a denial notice. You may even receive a denial notice if your PHA determines that there are other applicants who need assistance more than you.

In some denial circumstances, you have the right to an informal review. You must not wait to request one, because there may be a time limit. At the review, a PHA employee will go over your application with you and explain the reasons behind the decision. You will then have the opportunity to state your case and explain why you disagree.

Keep in mind that your PHA may not allow an informal review depending on the circumstances.